Hello readers! While I am headed home over the holidays, I have fellow wanderlusts taking over the blog to share their favourite destinations around the globe. Please give Ash a warm welcome!
The world is bigger than we could ever possibly imagine, and it’s scary to think we will never even scratch the surface in this lifetime. Even if we do travel to the same places, we see the world through different eyes, creating a unique experience. As I dive head first into travel, I am inspired by each of your adventures and am starting Sonderlust Secrets as a series showcasing this. Interested in being featured?While spending time with friends one evening, they happen to mention and share pictures of this beautiful untouched island that they had visited. My husband and I looked at each other and we knew then, our next destination had to be that island. (Shane agrees, Thailand is amazing!)We both love the ocean and can spend hours without getting bored. After admiring the pictures, there was no stopping us. We decided to go through with this adventure, backpacked and booked a hotel for just the first day. We were high on energy because of two things – one, it was our first international trip for 2 long weeks and second, we wanted to figure it all out from boarding and lodging to sightseeing on our own. After all, we wanted to have an adventure trip.Little did we know that there was no turning back from there! The moment we landed we experienced this positive rush of energy. We were welcomed with smiling facing. We were guided by strangers without being asked. We were humbled by the culture of the country.Reaching the island was a joy ride – from traveling by bus to getting on a ferry, to getting a ride to the hotel we booked a night before. Which was right on the beach. In fact, the icing on the cake was that we got a sea facing room. It was perfect in every sense of the word.We spent our time swimming, snorkeling, visiting half a dozen other islands with the day tours the neighboring hotel organized.Yes, Thailand is our favorite destination!! What pulls us to that country and why we still ranking it at the top of our travel destinations is because:
1. People – We always feel welcomed. It always brings a smile on our face, not just by getting mesmerized by the beauty of the islands, but because of the people.
2. Beaches & cultural beauty – It’s so pretty & rich in its Buddhist culture, that each picture can be used as ‘a wallpaper’. From snorkeling to scuba diving, it’s one of the best places to experience marine life! Some of our favorite island are Koh Samed, Krabi, Koh Chang, Koh Kradan, Koh Lanta, Koh Mook and Koh Ngai
3. Weather – it’s lovely, warm during the day and pleasant and breezy during the evening, especially if you are stationed on the island side.
4. Commuting is easy – It’s an easy place to move around, whether it the metros in Bangkok or the bus + Ferry + Jeep ride till or between islands – it all such a smooth joy ride.
5. Thai food – Thai food much more than just Thai curry and rice. If you are visiting Thailand you’ve got to try the street food and the food that the serve in the shacks and you’ve got to team it up with one of the Thai (chilled) beers.
6. Affordable – You can have the best time every and still not make a hole in your pocket. Street food costs about a $1, Hotels cost about $20 to $50
7. Nightlife – From the night markets to the dance parties on the beach, it’s a place full of energy and life!
Thailand is close to our heart and always will be! It’s a place much more than Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya. We’ve traveled for two consecutive years and there is no stopping us. That time it was our first trip, however, it wasn’t the last one. It never will be!
Ashima Sharma is an Entrepreneur, Freelance writer and Travel Blogger. She travels to experience different cultures and cuisines, capture moments and also loves making new friends along the way. Her objective is to inspire people to ‘Travel More in Less’! To know more about her and get inspired to travel, do pay a visit and subscribe to ‘The Logical Traveler’ and follow along on twitter and instagram!