How crazy is it to grasp the sheer power that a single hashtag can hold in our social media fueled world?
Today, even when you can’t physically be at an event, you can still join the conversation before, during and after, for the whole experience. Hashtags create engagement to extend your influence beyond the boundaries of your own followers. They are universal, so anyone can click, view and explore a given topic, connecting a conversation across Twitter and a community of like-minded individuals. Thus, twitter chats are a valuable platform to share ideas, grow readership and form lasting digital connections. Twitter’s time sensitive feed trumps Facebook for building a loyal and engaged following for your blog. Many times your Facebook status won’t show on followers’ feeds due to pesky logarithm factors which give more influence to interactions on the status, rather than the time posted.
#fireworkpeople is a community for creatives, dreamers and entrepreneurs, full of ideas, who want to make a greater impact on the world. Join a fearless sisterhood in talking passion, motivation and other soul-stirring topics. Shatter your comfort zone. Kick it in the face. And do something that scares you today. Risk. Because there’s more. We are knee-deep in encouragement and high-fives. Together we are unstoppable.
Hot topics: How to deal when sh*t gets real, Side hustle secrets, The art of networking
#MillenialTalk | Tues 8pm EST
Connect with multi-passionate professionals ready to set fire to their careers and entrepenurial visions. I can assure you will leave Millennial Talk refreshed and equipped with the tools to unlock your full potential.
Hot topics: How to hustle like an entrepeneur, Lies 20-somethings need to quit believing, You don’t need another degree, you need experience, Killer steps to achieving financial health
Talk all things travel with other adventurous, independent, and globally-minded women. They encourage global engagement, volunteerism/activism, and general butt-kicking. Join 6,000 women in 110 countries and it’s bound to be a good time.
Follow #WanderfulBloggers for a special edition breaking the silence and ending the stigma on how mental health intersects with our travel plans. The panic-attack-inducing scenarios, the flashback triggers, the desperate loneliness of solo travel. We are in this together.
Share your best travel photos corresponding to each weeks them and learn techniques from the pros for better photography on-the-go. The questions are posted on Sunday nights to prepare in advance. Time to get your creative juices flowing!
Hot topics: Living abroad, Without a plan, Risk, Strangers, Quickfire, Exotic
Travel Talk on Twitter is the travel community’s biggest Twitter chat. Tag your tweets with #TTOT throughout the week to get the attention and spark conversations with others in the #TTOT community. A great opportunity for your voice to be heard by bigger names in the world of travel blogging!
Hot topics: Healthy travel, Travel blues, Obscure destinations
It’s easy to dream of far-off places, to assemble colorful glimpses of the world neatly in one’s mind. But taking that first step out the door and into the world is a moment both complex and exhilarating. An entire world is waiting for you out there. Are you ready to discover it? Join a tribe of globetrotters, storytellers and photographers here to inspire you to travel the world.
Hot topics: My first time, Slow travel, Mobile Photography
Discover expert tips on the latest trends from where to eat in New York to what to do in Barcelona. A panel of gurus from the world-renowned Travel and Leisure field your questions.
Hot topics: Family travel, Dream trips, Traveling with a companion, Wine regions, Bucket lists
Do you have a deep curiosity and blazing passion for other cultures? There is so much more to a country than famous landmarks and clichéd itineraries. Join a 360* discussion on all things travel, culture, photography and food. You’re in for a treat with a new destination featured each month!
Hot topics: Travel mishaps, Culinary delights, Waterfalls
An all day chat that collects your answers to the question: “If you could be anywhere in the world today, where would you be?” I can almost guarantee it won’t be where you are currently sitting.
Round the World chat brings together seasoned, new, and soon-to-be travelers from across the world to share tips on extended, long-term travel. It’s not for everyone but could it be your calling?
Hot topics: Long-term travel tips, How to start planning, Becoming location independent
Tune in to brush up on your travel skills such as finding cheap airfare, getting the best hotel room, insider scoop on the best promotions, or nabbing that upgrade before the guy or gal next to you does.
Get insight into the actual experience of living/working/studying abroad. It’s a great source for expat tips and tricks, as well as a nice forum for travel-lovers to share their experiences abroad.
#GirlGiLife | Thurs 4pm EST
A chat for expat women about the lifestyle of a girl gone international.
Hot topics: Planning vs going with the wind
Join the big dogs at Expedia in creating a community of travel lovers, all eager to ask and answer questions and share tips on globe-trotting adventures. Did I mention prizes are up for grabs?
Hot topics: Technology in travel, Giving the gift of travel for the holidays
Join a a robust community of travelers who take off the beaten path over luxury. The Road Less Traveled Chat discusses destinations often overlooked such as Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia and Central America.
The theme is announced on Tuesdays at noon EST and open to your interpretation. For example, ‘summer’ could be photos of: swimming in the sea, drinking cocktails, music festivals, playing on the beach, flowers, sunny views, etc. On Friday you share your photos and include the #FriFotos hashtag. The hosts retweet some of the highlights to share your photo with a wider audience.
Join creative bloggers and entrepreneurs looking for a supportive community to share their passion projects with. #CreateLounge covers blogging, branding, social media and so much more!
Dish on tips and tricks to striking the perfect work-life balance. Geared toward bloggers and creative entrepreneurs who want to stand out, grow their audience, and make genuine connections.
Altitude Summit is the premier business conference for pioneering and rookie bloggers and creatives in this space. It’s a community of exciting, experimental and expressive thinkers, makers and entrepreneurs. Alt offers you opportunities to collaborate, explore, investigate and learn!
#CreativeBizChat | Thurs 8pm EST
Calling all bloggers, graphic designers and freelancers! If you already love all things Elle & Company, you will love this chat packed with actionable tips and hacks on blogging and business strategies to help you grow.
A brand new lifestyle focused chat to define your own personal style (Think, what’s in your closet, how you decorate your home, etc, not your brand and online presence) Topics will rotate between style, weddings, home, and entertaining.
#PassionChat | Mon 8PM EST
How to play along
- If joining from Twitter’s website, search the hashtag in the top right magnifying glass. At the top of the next page, make sure to click in “All” or “Live” so you see ALL questions and replies.
- If using a social media dashboard such as Hootsuite, search or create a column for the chat’s designated hashtag. The column will display only tweets related to the conversation.
- The host of the chat will post questions related to a central theme. Often they will assign a moderator to welcome participants, ask questions and keep the conversation on track.
- You can simply click on the hashtag on a tweet to see all of the recent tweets of the party.
- When you see the questions appear in the column (Ex: Q1 First question), respond with an A1. & make sure you include the hashtag so that your tweet is included in the conversation. Time is allowed in between for you to discuss with other participants before the next question is posed.
Tips to rock the chat
1. Craft an elevator pitch: Avoid getting lost in a sea of generic introductions at the start of the chat. Perfect your 140 character elevator pitch to customize your personal brand and message you wish to convey.
Ask yourself a simple question: What makes me uniquely, well…me? Instead of: “Hi my name is Shane and I love traveling and photography” Try: “I am a multi-passionate globetrotter who crunches numbers for a living but would rather be blogging”
2. Give the chat your full attention: Twitter chats move at lightening speed and the more people involved, the faster the tweets roll in. I made the mistake in the early days of having a million tabs open, answering emails and Facebook messages at the same time. So turn off your phone, look up, and be present. Sit somewhere peaceful, pour a glass of wine, anything that helps you focus your full attention on the party.
4. Don’t forget the hashtag! In order for all chat participants to see your tweets and engage with you, be sure to end each tweet with the relevant hashtag. Tweetgrid allows you to pre-populate the hashtag in each tweet to make your life a little easier.
5. Don’t try to use a mobile device: Twitter chats move far too fast for touch screen typing from an iPhone or iPad. Bust out the laptop for an hour or you will be frantically trying to keep up!
6. Form genuine relationships: Twitter chats are all about making connections with new people. If you find someone who catches your attention, follow them and follow up after the chat. Beyond the serious dose of knowledge you can gain from Twitter parties, you can also find new friends, readers, and potential customers.
8. Keep it short and sweet: It can be tricky fitting a well thought out response into 140 characters (less space for the hashtag). Cut out any flowery adjectives and remove unnecessary @mentions back to the hosts.
9. Share the love: Re-tweeting the posts and tweets of other party-goers is a great way to show your support and form a sense of camaraderie. Don’t go overboard with the RT’s or your followers not involved in the chat may throw you an unfollow.
10. Don’t feel obligated to follow: If someone you engage with in the chat follows you, the polite thing to do would be to follow back, right? If you don’t feel you formed a relateable bond with someone, don’t pity follow them (ie. Mommy vs travel bloggers in different niches with different audiences) The point of twitter chats is forming genuine connections after all!
Looking for even more chats? Find a full list here.