Hi everyone! I am Kaelene from Unlocking Kiki where you will find me blogging about my life in Iceland and the adventures it throws my way. Thats me, freezing my bum off while taking in the beautiful Icelandic scenery, typical day in Iceland. Iceland, random right? Let me explain. It all started with an internship in Australia. During my time in the land down under I met a boy. The boy ended up not being the Australian surfer I was sure I would meet but instead a handsome Viking from Iceland.
Fast forward four years later and I am now living with the Viking in his stunning homeland. I will admit, before meeting my Viking I knew next to nothing about Iceland so I don’t blame you if you’re reading this right now thinking, “Iceland, I know nothing about Iceland.” Have no fear, I am here to tell you 10 of the most important things (at least the things I think is the most important) that you need to know about Iceland. I will warn you, by the end of this post you will be booking the next flight to Iceland, it is that beautiful!
A Glimpse into Iceland
1. Iceland kind of looks like the Moon When you first leave the airport you will find yourself wondering if you arrived on the moon and not a country on Earth. Have no fear, you will soon see the civilization of Reykjavik in the near distance. Enjoy the lava fields and the feeling of being on another planet as you make your way from the airport.
2. Reykjavik is small but packs a quirky punch I dare you not to fall in love with Reykjavik! Something about this small city sucks you in and you will leave already planning your next trip back. Make sure to pack the most into your time in Reykjavik and use this handy little guide full of the best things to do in this quirky city I now call home.
3. The landscapes in Iceland will leave you speechless That feeling of being on another planet will quickly set back in as you venture outside of Reykjavik and into the countryside. From mountains so pretty they look painted to waterfalls around every corner, the landscape in Iceland is one you will never forget.
4. There are beaches in Iceland, some with black sand! When you hear the name Iceland the last thing that comes to mind is a beach day. While you will most likely never find me laying out on a beach here in Iceland a walk along one of the many beaches in your winter gear is a must! My favorite beach, the black sand beach of Vik.
5. The Icelandic horses are ridiculously adorable When you leave the city and start driving out in the countryside you are bound to see the unique Icelandic horses playing in the fields. These adorable horses are extremely friendly so pull over and give them a pat on the head while you take a selfie with them.
6. Hiking in Iceland needs to be on your bucket list Remember all those waterfalls and beautiful mountains you oohed and awed over from inside your car. Get up and personal with those stunning things and put your hiking boots on. Not a fan of hiking? Trust me, you will want to suck it up for at least a few hours, the hiking trails in Iceland are worth the blisters.
7. Iceland may be cold but it is steaming with natural hot water Iceland may be cold but its ground is bubbling with hot water! Fun fact, about 85% of all homes are heated with geothermal energy, how awesome is that! Make sure you bring your bathing suit so you can soak in one of the hot springs you may find on your hike, or visit a local pool, you can find them in almost every town in Iceland and they are a true Icelandic treat.
8. Everyone rocks a Lopapeysa Lopapeysas are a traditional Icelandic sweater that I think should be made the national outfit since everyone has at least one in their closet! I even have one of my own that my Vikings mom knitted for me. These wool sweaters keep you incredibly warm so if you’re in Iceland and feeling chilly head out and buy yourself a lopapeysa.
9. The sky likes to put on a show Visit in the winter and have the chance to see the Northern Lights dancing above. Visit in the summer and experience the midnight sun. Whatever time of the year you visit the sky in Iceland holds a special treat.
10. The most beautiful spa you will ever visit is in Iceland The Blue Lagoon is one of Iceland’s most famous sites and for good reason. Just look at that stunning blue water! Spending a day at this beautiful spa soaking in the perfectly warm water is a must do when in Iceland. I of course spend my days soaking in the Blue Lagoon, that is when I am not out frockling in the lava fields or hiking all over Iceland.
Want to learn more about this unique country I am living in? Check out my Iceland page and spark your desire to visit Iceland even more! I love visitors so head over to Unlocking Kiki and say hi!
If Iceland is not in your near future have no fear I will send a piece of Iceland to you! Keep your hands nice and warm this winter with a pair of Icelandic gloves, not knitted by me so you can be assured they will be amazing. Enter below for your chance to win!
a Rafflecopter giveaway